Re: How to tell lilypond some barlines have width

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: How to tell lilypond some barlines have width
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 17:21:11 -0500

    Neil> On 9 March 2011 16:02, Laura Conrad <address@hidden> wrote:
    >> Unfortunately, it creates a new one.  In some cases, such as the
    >> attached small example, when I use this BarType I get a lot of errors:
    >>
    >> programming error: Loose column does not have right side to attach to.
    >>
    >> I was hoping these loose columns were like the insane springs,
    >> which I get all the time and they never seem to produce bad
    >> output.  But when I use my test file in a lilypond-book file, it
    >> ends up indented instead of within the margins I want.

    Neil> Some of the paper columns are in weird places: following each
    Neil> line break, at least one column has lost its place within the
    Neil> system and is stranded in the left margin.  This makes each
    Neil> system wider than it should be.

This is greek to me.  It looks to me like the systems are the right
width -- they just have space on the left.  And why should telling Lily
that the barlines take no space cause her to lose track of the
"columns", whatever those are?

    Neil> If you can put up with manual beams, creating barlines
    Neil> following every note will restore the correct indentation:

    Neil> barAlways = ##t

Unfortunately, that allows line breaks at awkward places.  I don't do
beaming, since 17th century printers didn't, and anyway there aren't
that many eighth and sixteenth notes.

However, a lot of 21st century musicians believe (unlike the 16th
through at least 18th century printers) that lines should only be broken
at "barlines" even if you aren't printing the barlines.  I think they're
wrong in general -- it proves to me that they're still thinking in
measures even though the point of barless editions is to stop the
performers from thinking in measures because the composers weren't.

But even for me, breaking a line between a dotted half and a quarter is
a problem.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

I suppose it can be said I'm an absent-minded driver.  It's true that
I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the
other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit
for it.

Glenn Gould, quoted in "A Romance on Three Legs" by Katie Hafner