Re: Compile for Mac

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Compile for Mac
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 07:55:43 -0700

On 3/12/11 7:47 AM, "James Lowe" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl,
>

> I'd like to have a go at this - me with absolutely no real code building
> experience other than following CG for building doc in LilyPond (and much
> cajoling from Graham).

Sounds great.  When I first did this in 2008, I had experience in cygwin and
linux, but not on OSX.

> :)
>
> I'm perfectly comfortable with using Terminal but have never installed the
> MacPorts stuff before.
>
> If this works for me then I think it would be really helpful to have in
> the CG simply because if I can do it, then anyone who had a modicum of
> building code experience can do it and won't have to hunt about the
> message boards.

As you do it, please keep good notes.  I tried to keep good notes, but I had
a couple of problems due to losing my wireless internet, so there's always a
possibility that something won't work exactly the same for you.

> I have Mac OS X 10.6.6 w/ 4GB or RAM on a second gen imac
>
>   Model Name: iMac
>   Model Identifier: iMac7,1
>   Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
>   Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
>

> Is this enough?

I'm sure it is.  I built it yesterday on a MacBook Pro with a core 2 duo and
2GB of memory.

> How long do you guesstimate it would take compile (I.e the make bit).

I think it takes about 25 minutes to do the make part.  It will take less
later when the fonts already exist.

The total process may take several hours.  Getting the MacPorts stuff
installed with all the dependencies can take quite a bit of time; the total
install will be something like 8GB not counting Xcode (which was a 4 GB
download all by itself).  But most of that time is spent waiting, so you can
go do something else.

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can, although Nicolas may be a
better resource (I was following his instructions).

Good Luck,

Carl