Re: Multiple LilyPond Versions

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Multiple LilyPond Versions
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:16:30 +0100

Il giorno sab, 12/03/2011 alle 08.17 -0500, PMA ha scritto:
> Hi Federico.  See below --

Hi Peter,

I put the mailing list back in CC :-)

> > why don't you use convert.ly to update your source file to new synthax
> > and then edit them with 2.12 or 2.13?
> > http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-program/Updating-files-with-convert_002dly#Updating-files-with-convert_002dly
>
> Mea culpa!  I hadn't noticed this possibility.  Have you found it reliable?

I can't tell you, because I started using LilyPond since v2.13 and I
never really needed this script.
Anyway I believe that you can safely use it. You may first create a
backup copy and then compare the two files (diff) to see what's
happened.

> > .sh installer installs LilyPond either in your home directory (if you
> > launch it as a normal user) or in /usr/local (if you launch it as a
> > superuser).
>
> In either place -- mine will be /usr/local -- does it install as a
> single directory
> named after the new version number (so avoiding any overwrite gotchas)?

no, the name of the directory is lilypond

but you can rename the old directory including version number:
lilypond-v2.12

you can get other ideas from:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/concurrent-stable-and-development-versions

Cheers,