Re: Compile for Mac

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Compile for Mac
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 09:50:12 -0700

On 3/12/11 9:24 AM, "James Lowe" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl,

Apple does not require you do download Xcode to the machine.  You can
download it from wherever and move it to the machine.

You can also download the MacPorts package from wherever and save to a USB
drive.

> Also when you run
>
> 'sudo port install [XYZ]' is that the same as doing a get-apt (I.e I need
> an internet connection for those commands or is that installing from the
> Xcode stuff I would have downloaded and copied over)?

sudo port install [XYZ] is the macports equivalent of apt-get.  It will do
an internet search for the files.  It downloads .tar.gz files for the most
part, then expands them.  I have not checked the total size of the
downloads, just the decrease in my hard drive space as the install
progressed.

HTH,

Carl