Re: Compile for Mac

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Compile for Mac
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 17:06:24 -0500

On Mar 13, 2011, at 4:28 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2011-03-13 um 00:51 schrieb Bernardo Barros:
>
>> 2011/3/12 Henning Hraban Ramm <address@hidden>:
>>> MacPorts is a project independent from Apple, but uses the compiler etc
>>> installed with Xcode.
>>> What you can download and install from macports.org is just a base system to
>>> be able to use the port command.
>>> port is very similar to apt-get.
>>> And yes, you need a good internet connection.
>>>

>> MacPorts is source based, so it will take longer to compile, maybe
>> less internet downloading? Since xcode4 is now paid, MacPort should
>> consider providing the "devel base" as binaries also?
>
> Why do you think XCode4 would be paid? I found no information about a price.
> Can’t you download it from http://developer.apple.com/xcode/ ?
> (Apparently you can only download it if you run Snow Leopard, and you need an
> developer account, but the basic one is free.)

The new XCode is $4.99 unless you are an official registered Apple Developer
(which costs something like $99 a year and probably gets you seeds of OS
updates to check your applications against).  Non-developers have to get XCode
form the App Store (which pretty much has put the writing on the wall for
almost all traditional shareware and most freeware development for OS X; there
is also a problem with the App Store's terms of sale and the GPL).