Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:22:04 +0000

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:42:45AM -0300, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Mike Blackstock
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > This is F*****G great! Especially the Bach BWV 1006 - I could have sworn it
> > really was a kid playing. http://percival-music.ca/audio/bwv-1006_1.wav.mp3
>
> To my ears, the rhythm sounded eerily exact - don't kids slow down
> their tempo when it gets difficult?

Many do, and Vivi doesn't do that yet.  That comes under the topic
of "expressive music performance", which is a few steps down the
road.  There's a few examples of variable skill (including
applying a normal distribution to the timing) at the bottom of
this page:
http://percival-music.ca/favorites.html

Most research on expressive music performance uses piano or
perhaps guitars -- for those instruments, the sound of a note is
pretty much determined by the initial pitch, time, and velocity.
(leaving aside quibbles like guitar glissando, piano pedaling,
etc)

Cheers,
- Graham