Re: what about simplifying music notation?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: what about simplifying music notation?
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:52:08 +0100

Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:

> 2011/3/14 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Let me add Stanley Jordan's guitar tuned by fifths which looks fairly
>>> chromatic to me.
>>
>> What about "_deliberately_ designed around a chromatic scale (note that
>> string instruments have their controls dictated by physics)" did you not
>> understand?
>
> Frets in a guitar are absolutely chromatic.  I did not mention
> fretless instruments.

So please explain how you are would sort frets into a diatonic scale
arrangement corresponding to white keys on a piano, with the frets
corresponding to black keys put someplace else.

The frets in a guitar are not _deliberately_ designed around a chromatic
scale, but because their positioning is dictated by physics.

Contrast that with a flute or a saxophone or anything else with a
_deliberate_ design of controls.

--
David Kastrup