Re: what about simplifying music notation?

From: Marc Weber
Subject: Re: what about simplifying music notation?
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:23:56 +0000

Excerpts from David Rogers's message of Mon Mar 14 16:11:47 +0000 2011:
> In my opinion, for starters, any new system that requires an explanation
> of its features is out. If it isn't obvious without explanation, then
> the advantages are probably not great enough to get anybody to switch.

:) Of course you all are right. Getting trained on music system takes
effort and time. So nobody knowing it will switch.

But you got the point: Its not obvious why e-f is a semitone having the
same visual appearance as let's say c-d.
You have to explain that. You have to learn it. You have to pay
attention to it if you're playing two voices one written in Es, the
other in C...

The last is the main point. My mother started playing the Saxophone
(Es). The other instruments we have at home are Xaphoone's (C,As).

So there is no choice: Either we have to rewrite notes or transpose on
the fly (which means one is waiting for the other).

http://musicnotation.org/musicnotations/gallery.html
The link is fine. And its crazy to see how many different systems have
been tried. However they all are base don the e-f semi step.

I feel that some people playing music only once a year would benefit
from equal appearance meaning equal intervals. This would help them
recognize intervals faster etc.

I know that there is no way rewriting traditional music. There is too
much available.

I still think it should be easier for untrained people to get started
with music. That's all.

Marc Weber