Re: left-aligning grobs to other grobs

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: left-aligning grobs to other grobs
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:14:03 -0500

On 3/13/11, James Lowe <address@hidden> wrote:

> One thing I always find a bit frustrating with aligning being able to
> align 'easily' with barlines without having to resort to \mark commands.
>
> There are 'problems' having to '\mark's on the same bar line - and while
> we do have a snippet to do this (two actually) one is easy but impractical
> in many instances and the other is just very complicated - you have to add
> another voice which when you are dealing with a lot of fiddly
> markups/accents/chords etc is cumbersome.

I took a look at the snippet which allows you to put a rehearsal mark
above and below the staff ( http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=735
), and tried to recreate the effect using the function I posted.  I've
attached an image and my .ly file showing the snippet's output on top,
mine below.

Basically, I treated the items below the staff as markups attached to
the note right before the barline, and then used the function to
center them on the barline.  (I attached them to the note nearest the
barline, but I could also have attached them to the note after, or two
notes before/after -- just so the target barline is the closest.

I think I've done a reasonably good job of recreating the effect,
though, of course, both objects are meant to be rehearsal marks -- as
the snippet acknowledges -- and my TextScript item is an impostor done
up as one!

> So being able to do something like tie a grob (I.e. A coda or a segno sign
> are my most common requirements) no the note before/after but being able
> to 'at least' left or right align it with a bar line so it 'appears' as if
> it is at the bar line would be very useful for me. A lot of my music I
> have a rehearsal mark smack on the same bar as I need a coda or segno
> sign. To be able to just say ' ok tie this mark to the last note of the
> bar but align it with the bar line that comes after it would be great.

Yes, I think it's probably best to keep the rehearsal mark in the
vicinity.  I'm already breaking the logical connection between the
grob I'm realigning and the grob it's attached to. (This could be
taken to an extreme: you could attach something to the first note, and
align it with the end of the staff -- talk about readability issues .
. . )  Also, I tried to fit as much as I could in the shortest space
in the earlier examples I posted, and consequently, I had to fiddle
around the vertical placement of objects that appear well separated
from each other, yet conflict because of the close proximity of the
grobs to which they're still attached.

--David