Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 07:19:30 -0400

Hi Dmytro,

> I don't know. We can't measure this. Do we have the same "sensitivity" as our
> grandfathers?

We *can* measure this, and we don't. Studies have been done in visual
perception, auditory perception, rate of data absorption, and detail extraction
-- and all of them point to a decrease in sensitivity in the past half-century.
(Unfortunately, there's no data from before that to compare it to -- but most
of these studies agree that the curve has likely continued for a lot longer.)

Cheers,
Kieren.