Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 09:05:41 -0400

Hi Nick,

> My observation, from having worked in a recording studio and at an University
> FM station in my youth, is that there is usually an inverse relationship
> between people's interest in hifi and how much live music they participate
> in, whether as performer or listener. In other words, the biggest hifi
> zealots are usually those who don't listen to much live music, and, except
> for the mastering of a recording they've just made, musicians aren't too
> fussed about getting absolute fidelity of reproduction when listening to
> recordings.

My experience as composer and CD editor/producer (all anecdotal of course) is
the opposite, at least from the classical perspective: people who listen to
and/or perform more live music (solos, chamber music, choirs, symphonies, etc.)
prefer their recordings to have higher fidelity.

I myself have experienced a related effect: the longer I go without hearing
live music, the less I appear to be bothered by the digital artifacts in modern
recordings.

Cheers,
Kieren.