RE: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:15:56 +0000

Hello,

)-----Original Message-----
)From: address@hidden
)[mailto:address@hidden On
)Behalf Of Janek Warchol
)Sent: 18 March 2011 12:43
)To: Dmytro O. Redchuk; Graham Percival; Kieren MacMillan; lilypond-
)address@hidden
)
)2011/3/18 Dmytro O. Redchuk <address@hidden>
)>
)> On Fri 18 Mar 2011, 10:44 Graham Percival wrote:
)> > Has that happened with books?  Have stories become total crap over
)> > the past 10/50/200 years?
)> :-)
)>
)> I don't know. We can't measure this. Do we have the same "sensitivity"
)> as our grandfathers? [...] Can we be sure, that our "good" literature
)> is "as good as" our grandfather's "good literature"? And the same for
)"our bad"?
)
)These are exactly the questions that should be asked!
)

And they are, just not as explicitly as some would like here.

When you are a 'grandfather' you will know the answer because the 'good' stuff
of today will still be around or known and the 'bad' stuff will not (or rather
it will be 'somewhere' but everyone will have forgotten about it). I am sure
there are some exceptions but they won't be the rule, and of course things like
distribution 'back in your grandfather's day' would have made some differences,
but this frankly is not a consideration in our linked world today. We are
exposed to more good and bad stuff than ever before.

That's not to say that I think that all the classical literature (for example)
that is still available and didn't die and disappear after its first
publication, is 'good' but I do believe it is 'probably, more than likely'
better than the stuff that didn't survive or is no longer available.

James