Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:39:15 +0000

On 3/18/11, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Yes, the Sieve of Time is a powerful arbiter of taste.  =)

IMO, it is the *only* arbiter of (general population) taste.  While
the *only* arbiter of your personal taste is you.

> There must be examples in both directions, of course: "bad stuff" surviving
> (even thriving!), and "good stuff" disappearing.

WTM does it mean for "bad stuff" to thrive?  IMO, If something
"thrives", then it's good stuff.  I might not personally like it (I
wouldn't shed a tear if all rap music vanished), but I don't have any
reason or evidence to call it "bad" stuff.  (unless I'm going for a
post-modern ironic "yeah, gangsta rap is bad, dude!  It's so bad it's,
like, nasty and gnarly!")

We've inevitably reached this point: do you have an objective
definition of "good music"?  If so, share it.  If not, then accept
that Elvis[1] produced "better" music than John Cage.

[1] NB: by "Elvis", I mean "the collection of people who
wrote/composed/arranged the music that Elvis sang, which quite
possibly include German folk songs from four centuries ago".  I'm
quite aware that (unfortunately) modern pop music ignores the work of
almost everybody other than the main star, or possibly stars in a rock
band.

Cheers,
- Graham