Bar check warning

From: njrees
Subject: Bar check warning
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:08:32 -0700 (PDT)

I am a new user.

I get a bar check warning from this snippet (Rogers and Hart's Have You Met
Miss Jones?)

If I delete the first bar, I don't get the warning. Is this a bug, or am I
doing something wrong?
(Do I have to represent the rest somehow?)

<<
\relative c'' {
\key f \major
   | c1 | r4 d d d |
}

\addlyrics {
  | free. | And all at |
}

\version "2.13.23"

Processing `/Users/xxxx/lily/m2.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
/Users/xxxx/lily/m2.ly:9:10: warning: barcheck failed at: 0/0
  | free.
          | And all at |
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Solving 1 page-breaking chunks...[1: 1 pages]
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `m2.ps'...
Converting to `./m2.pdf'...
success: Compilation successfully completed

Thanks for your attention.