Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 09:44:58 +0000

Hello,

Yes very good question. One thing that comes to mind is that I don't want to
arrive at a point where musician will be teaching computers to play instead of
learning to play themselves.
We're long past that point.  Many many pop and rock and hip hop keyboardists
can't really play, i.e. if you asked them to play some sheet music or reproduce
a particular song, they couldn't do it, but they can program loops and effects
and assign them to keys and produce some excellent music.  Their instrument is
the programming and their creativity and imagination.

and so we're back to Graham's point. Anyone can now make 'music' without having
to spend years learning a 'real' instrument etc.

It's not so much some 'musicians' can no longer play an instrument or read
music but that some extra 'musicians' can now create music without having to
play an instrument or read music etc.

That is a good thing.

James