Re: scores in columns - vertical alignment

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: scores in columns - vertical alignment
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 23:48:33 +0100

Hi Tim,

2011/3/17 Timothy Sheasby <address@hidden>:
> From the LilyPond essay I learned that LilyPond deliberately *avoids*
> lining up the staff lines vertically to make the music look more
> like a hand engraved manuscript . . .

No, that's not true! You misunderstood the concept explained in essay.
LilyPond doesn't introduce artificial randomness to the placement of
notes and bar lines. Barlines shouldn't line up in the example from
essay because the notes in each bar are different (despite having
constant rhythm) - it's the optical spacing that results in these
shifts.
Try compiling this: { \repeat unfold 31 { b b b b } }
You'll notice that systems 2-4, containing exatly the same notes, line
up perfectly.

cheers,
Janek