unexpected STRING error with unapparent cause

From: tbear2500
Subject: unexpected STRING error with unapparent cause
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 22:25:12 -0700 (PDT)

I'm writing an a cappella piece in Lilypond (actually transcribing one which is probably copyrighted, hence all notes and titles being removed) primarily for a midi file with which to practice. I have six different files ('[songtitle].ly', 'intro.ly', 'soprano.ly', 'alto.ly', 'tenor.ly', and 'bass.ly') to keep the code reasonably organized and manageable. Everything but [songtitle].ly simply defines variables: intro contains the two intro parts, and the others their respective vocal parts (S/A/T/B). Everything worked flawlessly until I added to the tenor part after the intro (I worked my way from top down, so soprano and alto worked). After doing this, I got the error message:

L:/Music/lilypond/[songtitle]/intro.ly:1:0: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING

saintro = \relative c' {

L:/Music/lilypond/[songtitle]/intro.ly:24:0: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING

tbintro = \relative c {

L:/Music/lilypond/[songtitle]/bass.ly:5:0: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING"

with no error text (it wouldn't tell me just which string it wasn't expecting) for the error in bass.ly.

The structure (if this helps more) goes as follows:

([songtitle].ly):
\version 2.12.3

\header {
%title/composer etc. defined, no errors
}

\include "soprano.ly"
\include "alto.ly"
\include "tenor.ly"
\include "bass.ly"

\score {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff {
      %set up staff data, no errors
      \soprano
      }
    %same as above for alto, tenor, and bass

  \layout { }
  \midi { }
  }

(intro.ly):
saintro = \relative c' { %error here
  %note data, error free
  }

tbintro = \relative c { %error here
  %note data, error free
  }

(soprano.ly):
\version "2.12.3"

\include "intro.ly"

soprano = {
  \saintro
  \relative c' {
    %note data, error free

I then have the same kind of thing in alto.ly and tenor.ly. In bass.ly:

\version "2.12.3"

\include "intro.ly"

bass = { %error somewhere here (according to description, unexpected string at character 0 of length 0)
  \tbintro
  \relative c {
    %one measure of note data, because I've been focusing on fixing the 'problem' with the code rather than writing the part

I have searched everything I could find to search through rather thoroughly to no avail. What might be causing this and how can it be fixed? If it helps, I'm using jEdit to write the files and compile them (simply double clicking or running through cmd results in error and failure of compilation as well) with Windows 7.