Re: Verse-chorus-verse with repeat, multiple ending, pick-up, and varyin

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: Verse-chorus-verse with repeat, multiple ending, pick-up, and varying rhythm
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 12:18:25 +1100

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher R Maden <address@hidden> writes:

Christopher> Finally had an excuse to learn this excellent tool.  I
Christopher> set a simple four-verse English folk song, with a
Christopher> concertina arrangement.  It looks pretty darn good... but
Christopher> it could look better, and I couldn’t figure out how to
Christopher> bring in those last bits.
Christopher> 1) Verse pick-ups.  I’d like verses 2–4 to start in the
Christopher> first alternative ending on the pickups there, rather
Christopher> than before the start of the repeat.  I tried a few
Christopher> things that resulted in text below the concertina line or
Christopher> duplication of the alternatives, but the only solution I
Christopher> could contemplate was to \skip the entire chorus for
Christopher> every verse.  If that’s the only way, I’ll do it, but
Christopher> surely there is a better way to get the lyrics to follow
Christopher> the actual flow of the notes.

If you put the chorus and verse into separate voices, it may work
better for you.  Something like this (no guarantees, I haven't tried to
compile it)

preambleOne=\lyricmode { \set stanza=#'"1. "
                 Oh, __ _
                 }
verseOne=\lyricmode{Am -- ble is a
ChorusWords=\lyricmode {\set stanza=#'"Chor."

preambleTwo=\lyricmode{\set stanza=#'"2. "
                            Well, a
                            }

\score {
  \context StaffGroup <<
       \context Staff=Tenor {
       \context Voice=preamble \relative c' {R1 | r2 r4 a8 g}
       \context Voice=verse \relative c' \repeat volta 4 {
                \context Voice=chorus {
                }\alternative{
                { f2 \context Voice=interverse { r4 a8 g }}
                {f1\fermata}}}
        \lyricsto preamble \context Lyrics = one \preambleOne
        \lyricsto verse \context Lyrics=one \verseOne
        \lyricsto chorus \context Lyrics = one \chorusWords
        \lyricsto verse \context Lyrics=two \verseTwo
        \lyricsto verse \context Lyrics=three \verseThree
        \lyricsto interverse \context Lyrics=one \preambleTwo
        \lyricsto interverse \context Lyrics=Two \preambleThree
        \lyricsto interverse \context Lyrics=Three { \preambleThree
\lastWordFour}

Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au           ERTOS within National ICT Australia