Re: Verse-chorus-verse with repeat, multiple ending, pick-up, and varyi

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: Verse-chorus-verse with repeat, multiple ending, pick-up, and varying rhythm
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:22:31 +0100

"Christopher R. Maden" <address@hidden> writes:

Looks nice!

> 1) Verse pick-ups.

There have been several suggestions that cover this.

> 2) Alternate rhythms.  There are a lot of small differences in the
> rhythms of the verses.  You can see this implicit in the current score,
> where there are same-pitch melisata and skipped notes.
>
> I would like instead to have the first verse’s rhythm in full-size
> notation, with variations for subsequent verses in small notes or rests.

I'd say no. The score is very readable, clear, and non-ambiguous. I
don't think anyone will misinterpret the way it must be sung.

It would be different if you had differing melodies or different rhythms
for verses. In this score it's just a matter of singing or skipping a
note. (For a really differing melody I's suggest a small helper staff.)

-- Johan