Re: \RemoveEmptyStaffContext

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: \RemoveEmptyStaffContext
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:43:26 +0100

Am Dienstag, 22. März 2011, 16:18:27 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
> On 3/22/11 8:25 AM, "Laurens van der Wee" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > The problem is that there are also some passages where the 'main' piano
> > (the lower staff) has multiple bars of rests. This one should stay
> > though. The current situation is even worse: if only the right hand has
> > something to play, the left hand disappears too!
> > How can I apply this \RemoveEmptyStaffContext to just the upper
> > PianoStaff and only to the whole thing, not it's individual Staff-s?
> > Everything I try gives me lots of errors with unexpected \layout or
> > \context-s...
>
> Move to the latest development version.  It solves this problem.
> \RemoveEmptyStaffContext has changed to \RemoveEmptyStaves, and is applied
> context by context.

Exactly. In 2.13 (soon to be 2.14), you would do
\new PianoStaff \with { \RemoveEmptyStaves } <<

\new PianoStaff <<

And only the first PianoStaff will be removed if empty.

And the two staves of a PianoStaff are only removed together (i.e. only if
both the left and the right hand have rests), but not separately as you
observe in 2.12.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886