Re: New version of articulate available

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: New version of articulate available
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 09:56:14 +1100

David> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:

>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:46:21AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>>> The GPLv3 states under 5 "Conveying modified source versions"
>>
>> I don't see articulate.ly as a modified source version, unless I
>> misunderstand that term.

David> The whole Lilypond of tomorrow is a modified source version of
David> today, containting parts that various authors licensed as their
David> personal contribution under the GPLv3 to the Lilypond project.

David> And are you going to guarantee that articulate.ly is not going
David> to be changed by anybody but the original copyright holder?

You can do that now under GPLv2.

But I've talked to the lawyers, and will arrange a new release this
week under GPL v3.0.  I still can't put in `or later'.  But that
should do for now.

>>> But making it an _integral_ part of Lilypond will not be feasible.
>>
>> You're talking about moving the code into a C++ performer, right?

David> Into _anything_ being run as an integral and substantial part
David> of Lilypond operation.

It will never be this.  and to avoid any future issue I'd much
rather have it in a `contrib' directory, so it's clear it's
distributed with lilypond but is not a core part of lilypond. It would
then fall under the `collection' rules in the GPL.  This would also be
useful for other snippets/scheme/ly libraries.

Currently we don't have a `contrib' tree.

Moving articualte functionality into a performer (which I think is the
right approach long-term) isn't a copyright issue, because you can't
just copy the code (scheme into C++?).  The *only* tricky bit, the
only part of articulate that contains any substantial IP, is
calculating trill timings. And it's a real hack full of mostly but not
perfect heuristics, and should probably be redesigned anyway.

Peter C

--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au           ERTOS within National ICT Australia