Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 11:57:29 -0400

Hi David,

> You can sympathize with your grandfather, but comparing the qualities
> and substance of your response seems a bit far-stretched.

Not at all, I thinkā€¦ and very useful.

Oliver Sacks, for one example, measures and reports on [extreme] sensory
perceptive (dis)abilities -- and books like "Musicophilia" make for a very
interesting read. it would be *very* informative to have a [very] long-term
study of "average perceptive functioning". Based on my intuition and experience
(i.e., anecdotal at best, and fatally biased at worst), I predict such a study
would prove a general dulling of the human perceptive senses -- hence the
ever-accelerating need to overstimulate each successive generation.

Cheers,
Kieren.