Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 17:31:08 +0100

> Hi David,
>
>> You can sympathize with your grandfather, but comparing the qualities
>> and substance of your response seems a bit far-stretched.
>
> Not at all, I thinkā€¦ and very useful.

Obviously I disagree.

> Oliver Sacks, for one example, measures and reports on [extreme]
> sensory perceptive (dis)abilities -- and books like "Musicophilia"
> make for a very interesting read. it would be *very* informative to
> have a [very] long-term study of "average perceptive
> functioning". Based on my intuition and experience (i.e., anecdotal at
> best, and fatally biased at worst), I predict such a study would prove
> a general dulling of the human perceptive senses -- hence the
> ever-accelerating need to overstimulate each successive generation.

I can't claim that popular music appears to me as exhibiting much of a
trend to overstimulate harmonic receptors.  Even in the rare case of
four-part harmony (Beach Boys et al), they are mostly confined to
basically homophonic chord progressions rather than complex polyphony.

The trend seems more in the direction of understimulation to me.  Not
necessarily the worst thing considering the trend to have background
music playing everywhere.  Bach distracts from food and driving.

--
David Kastrup