Re: timing false in one staff only?

From: madMuze
Subject: Re: timing false in one staff only?
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:58:36 -0700 (PDT)

> I want a staffgroup with:
>
> *top is a reduction of some music
>
> *bottom is a line of notes - like a series
>
> I don't want the bottom staff to synchronize with the top (ie I want the
> notes to be evenly spaced, regardless of what's going on in the top staff)

Damian,

Weirdly enough, I needed to do this just last week. What worked for me was:
rhyFloat = #(define-music-function (parser location numer denom muzk)
(number? number? ly:music?)
        #{
                \newSpacingSection
                \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'strict-note-spacing = ##t
                \scaleDurations #(cons $numer $denom) { $muzk }
                \newSpacingSection
                \revert Score.SpacingSpanner #'strict-note-spacing
        #}
)

Then, the floating voice looks like this:
        \rhyFloat #12 #9 { c4 d e f g a b c d }
where, yes, you have to figure out how many beats are to be covered (the
first number) and how many beats are within the braces (the second number).
In other words, it's an invisible tuplet. It's rare enough for me that I
don't mind the manual labor, but I'm sure someone might schemify the
process. You can pad the $muzk with s8 (for instance) at either end if you
don't want the first and last notes to look synchronous with the other
staff.

Note that, because of the new spacing sections, LilyPond may use different
spacing for the music after the section than it did before. Of course, if
the whole piece is a series of these, that's not an issue.

You may need to specify line breaks if the notes don't synchronize often
enough to allow measures to happen.

Good luck!
David