RE: transposition not \relative in \transpose(d) music?

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: transposition not \relative in \transpose(d) music?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:32:48 +0000

Hello,

)-----Original Message-----
)From: address@hidden
)[mailto:address@hidden On
)Behalf Of Bernhard Ott
)Sent: 30 March 2011 02:10
)To: LilyPond-User list
)
)Dear all,
)is it correct that the values of \transposition are not handled in a relative
)manner within transposed sections?

No I don't think that is correct.

)
)So if I have music written in concert pitch in and want to use it for let's say
)clarinet in b, I have to
)
).) \transpose c' d'
).) use \transposition c' ? (please see att. files; my problem was related to
)producing correct cuenote-pitches)
)
)Is this supposed to be the way to do it (of course I tapped into the "it-has-
)to-be-\transposition bes -trap" and it took me quite a while find the trick)
)?
)
)BTW, thanks for all your work/effort/patience to make lilypond and this
)list the way they are!
)

I have recently had to do a few scores where I had to add Trumpet Cues to an
Oboe part and this is how I did this.

First I set up my Cue for the trumpet

TrumpetMusic = \transpose c bes  {
  \relative c' {
    a4. | ais | b | c! | cis | c!
\addQuote "TrumpetMusic" { \TrumpetMusic }

Then I simply add this to my main score when I need it

OboeMusic = { ..lots of music here...
  \new Voice \relative c'' {
    \set Score.quotedCueEventTypes = #'(note-event rest-event tie-event
beam-event slur-event)
    \cueDuring #"TrumpetMusic" #UP { R1*6*3/8 }
  }
..rest of music...
}

Then my score construct for the oboe part is

\relative c'' {
      \OboeMusic
}

This gives me the oboe music in the correct key and transposes the trumpet
notes for the Oboe part correctly too.

I am not sure I completely answered your specific questions...but does this
help?

Often I get parts to write in the explicit key (not concert pitch) but if I did
get concert pitch only parts I would write them all out in the same pitch and
then add the \transpose in the \score at the end for that part, but I don't
think that gets round the cue notes issue.

James