Re: How to thing a staff's lines

From: Dmytro O. Redchuk
Subject: Re: How to thing a staff's lines
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 11:41:50 +0300

On Mon 04 Apr 2011, 16:22 胡海鹏 - Hu Haipeng wrote:
> Hello,
>   I find the culprit for my score. The staff lines are thick, and when the
> staff size is reduced to 10, the space between two staff lines is very few.
> How to make the staff lines thinner? My mother saw many Finale scores
> published by our People's Music Publishing are very clear, and some pocket
> scores have the same feature.
You can do that with StaffSymbol's 'thickness property.

{
 % this is the default value, i do believe:
 \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'thickness = #1
 c''1
}

However, Lilypond makes small objects _relatively thicker_ for better
readability (like different character widths for different font sizes for
ComputerModern font, for example -- sorry, i couldn't find better example).

I can believe that an eye, "trained by Finale", will see Lilypond's output as
"far too thick", but Lilypond does that intentionally, for readability's sake.

Probably, this behavior may be adjusted *for all* grobs, not StaffSymbol only,
but i don't know whether it is possible or not (i'd say it should be, but i am
not sure).

--
  Dmytro O. Redchuk
  Bug Squad