RE: Parallel LilyPonds on Windoze

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Parallel LilyPonds on Windoze
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 10:12:15 +0000

Hello

)-----Original Message-----
)From: address@hidden
)[mailto:address@hidden On
)Behalf Of Phil Holmes
)Sent: 05 April 2011 09:13
)To: Hilary Snaden; address@hidden
)
)----- Original Message -----
)From: "Hilary Snaden" <address@hidden>
)To: <address@hidden>
)Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 9:04 AM
)Subject: Parallel LilyPonds on Windoze
)
)> Is it possible to install two different LilyPond versions on a Windoze box
)> without them interfering with one another?
)>
)> --
)> Hilary Snaden
)
)Yes.  Just install them in different directories, and be prepared to use a
)command line and the full path to run lilypond.

or...

If you don't mind the fiddle, just rename one directory (assuming you are
wanting two versions instead of twenty two) and the one called 'lilypond' will
be the one the shortcut uses (if you use the drop method or the right-click
context menu method).

You can use CMD but I don't :) at least not for 99% of my LP work.

When I want to use the older version I don't mind the extra 60 seconds to
rename the dirs. around (and back). It just depends on what you want to
achieve, Phil for instance does a LOT of comparative regression work with old
and new versions so for him it makes sense to have 22 versions and script it
all, but for me renaming the dir is enough or my two versions I use.

I usually use 'current unstable' and run with that for a few weeks and if it is
ok for me I then get whatever is current 'now' and flick between the two if I
get issues, after a few more weeks I get the next 'current now' and delete the
older one and so on.

This also works on Mac OSX too, just rename the *.app to something else and the
one you 'want' to use is just called lilypond.app and you are all set. You can
even leave any icons in the dock as they are as they link to 'lillypond.app'
not the specific executable inside of it.

James