Re: intro; art song example or template?

From: Father Gordon Gilbert
Subject: Re: intro; art song example or template?
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 06:30:22 -0400

Hi Ivan,

Aside from reading the manuals -- especially the one called 'getting
started', there is something else I think you'll find handy.  I
started with Lilypond way back in 2002 or '03 when the only way to use
it was with the command line.  Nowadays there are a number of editors
and interfaces that make everything much easier.

For example, jEdit with LilypondTool, which works on any system (I
have it on Ubuntu, PC-BSD, and Windoze).  Install jEdit (jedit.org),
and when it is up and running, click on 'Plugins' and install
LilypondTool.  This will give you a powerful tool for editing your .ly
files with automatic colouring and indentation for human-readable
clarity, a toolbar for compiling your files and opening the .pdf and
.midi files, an on-board Lilypond manual, and even a virtual keyboard
for note entry.  It also has a template builder, so all you would have
to do, for example is tell jEdit that you want a song with Soprano and
Guitar, and presto! it creates the file with all the right sections --
you merely enter the notes, dynamics and words, and you're off to the
races!  It will even give you the option of notating your guitar in
either or both of regular staff and tablature.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Gordon+