Old English font for titles

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Old English font for titles
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 11:32:13 -0400

Back in the olden days, lilypond-book only set the music, and left the
titling to the publishing program.  I produced a book of Drinking Songs
in LaTeX, with the titles in hge, an Old English font derived from the
Hershey font.

I now want to do an updated version of this book.  I would like the
titles to still be in some old-english-like font.  I'm not asking here
as a criticism of the documentation, but because I have a deadline
tomorrow.

I need to figure out:

1.  How to tell lilypond how to use a particular font for titles.  It
    would be preferable to have a variable that I could set for all my
    files, so that saying:

         title = "He that would an alehouse keep"

     would produce a title in Old English, rather than having to say for
     every piece:

         title = \markup{[some font specification]{He that would an
         alehouse keep"}}

     But I'll take what I can get.

2. How to install an Old English like font onto my ubuntu 10.10 system
   that I can use the above trick on.  It looks like finding one should
   be easier than turning the hge.mf file I have into something that
   current lilypond could make use of, but so far I haven't figured out
   how to do either one.  Can anyone help?

Thanks,
--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

The dipsomaniac and the abstainer are not only both mistaken, but they
both make the same mistake: They both regard wine as a drug and not as
a drink.

G. K. Chesterton