Re: Old English font for titles

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Old English font for titles
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 13:58:31 -0400

    Henning> Am 2011-04-09 um 17:32 schrieb Laura Conrad:
    >> 1.  How to tell lilypond how to use a particular font for titles.

    Henning> \header{
    Henning>  title = \markup{\override #'(font-name . "Old English") "Your
Title"}

Thanks.

    >> It
    >> would be preferable to have a variable that I could set for all my
    >> files, so that saying:

    Henning> For my setup I redefined the whole titling, see bookTitleMarkup in
the
    Henning> paper block:

http://git.fiee.net/?p=lilystuff.git;a=blob_plain;f=global.ly;hb=HEAD

I might end up deciphering this, but probably not this afternoon.

Does lilypond-book use the paper block?  I know it doesn't for lots of
stuff, like page size, which of course you want the publishing program
to control.

    --> e.g. at dafont.com or any other of these free font sites. Or buy
    Henning> one at myfonts.com or any other vendor.

Thanks.  dafont.com has several that look promising.

    Henning> - How do I install a font on Ubuntu?
    --> copy it into /usr/share/fonts/truetype (or similar) or ~/.fonts
    --> it should also work to doubleclick that file and click "install"
    --> see e.g. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=275202

    Henning> You can also keep the font in the same directory as your
    Henning> lilypond score.

    Henning> - How do I refresh Pango’s font database?
    --> run fc-cache

    Henning> HTH

I'm sure it does.  But right now there's still a problem.  When I
put the title markup into my file, and run lilypond on it, lilypond is
fine, but then  when it tries to convert the .ps file to .pdf,
ghostscript says:

`(gs -q -dSAFER -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595.28 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=841.89
-dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-sOutputFile=./five.pdf -c.setpdfwrite -ffive.ps)' failed (256)

When I try to look at the .ps file in ghostview, it just sits there with
its wheel spinning and doesn't show me anything.

This is true not only with the fonts I just downloaded, but with all the
other non-default fonts I've tried, such as Georgia and "Century
Schoolbook".

This is on lilypond 2.13.58.  On 2.12.3, it seems to work fine.  I guess
I should report this to bugs.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

I gave Cuellar more chances than my first wife.

Hall of Fame Orioles manager Earl Weaver, after he stuck with lefty
Mike Cuellar way too long, finally pulling him out of the rotation
only to have Cuellar complain about losing his spot.