Re: how to set a partial measure after the beginning of a piece?

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: how to set a partial measure after the beginning of a piece?
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 14:54:40 -0700 (PDT)

Marc Mouries wrote:
> checked the doc here:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Displaying-rhythms
>
> and it says: "partial command is intended to be used only
> at the beginning of a piece.  If you use it after the
> beginning, some odd warnings may occur. "
>
> Any pointer about how to achieve this?
>
> The fiddle piece is composed of 2 parts
>
> part 1 = 4/4 | partial 4 | notes | measure  with 3 beats :|
> part 2 =       partial 4 | partial 4 | notes | measure with 3 beats :|

Can you post a png of the beginning of part 2?  Perhaps
there's a missing indication of first and second endings for
the repeat?  Two partial measures in a row is highly
suspicious.  Don't forget that repeat signs are not
necessarily bar lines, and that they occasionally appear in
the middle of a measure, perhaps creating the illusion of a
partial measure.  An "incomplete" measure in the middle of a
score should be notated with a change in the time signature,
and, as far as I know, NEVER with \partial.  Perhaps it
would make more sense to use two \score blocks, one for each
part.

The link Marek provided will work, but may take a while to
load since it loads the whole Notation Reference.  Here's a
quicker link to the "split" version of the same section:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/long-repeats

Hopefully this will be enough to help you figure it out.

- Mark