Re: status of mutopia project

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: status of mutopia project
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 00:00:22 +0200

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:34 PM, Music Teacher <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think theres place enough for icking, mutopia and imslp. The nice
> with mutopia is that you get 100% the source for the music you search,
> so you can rearrange pages turns and much more. Love it,

Of course. There are other repositories as well:
http://news.lilynet.net/spip.php?article109&lang=en#what_s_up_with_lilypond_scores

One of the reason why I opened the lilynet.net website was to have a
library of LilyPond scores (that, unlike Mutopia, would be primarily
available as source code, and would be kept up-to-date with LilyPond
latest development releases as much as possible). I haven't gotten
around to build the necessary components yet, but it's still on the
table.

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Gilles Sadowski
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I'd prefer a Lilypond-only archive, with "Creative Commons" licenses and
> sources _always_ available.

Licensing issues are a bit more complex, since what we'd ideally need
is a license that covers *both* the source code (think GPL, for
example) and the score as a compiled, ready-to-play pdf (CC do a great
job at that, but so does Free Art License for example). (I've been
working on such a license for a few years now, so that's also
something I'd like to make happen eventually :-)

Cheers,
Valentin.