Re: Lilypond with Cubase/DAW for Musical

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Lilypond with Cubase/DAW for Musical
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 09:41:38 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "JCHarris Music" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:08 AM
Subject: Lilypond with Cubase/DAW for Musical

Hi,

I am working a large piece with voice, dialogue, etc. (a 'musical'). I have been using Cubase to mock up the various music bits. Surprisingly, I have found the latest scoring functions to be not half bad at all. Unfortunately, it still has some serious shortcomings in terms of adding lyrics, dialogue, stage directions and so on... the stuff that has to be in the final score and book.

Ideally, I would love it if Cubase had features for all that stuff, but until such a day, I'm wondering if anyone here has experience in using Cubase for this sort of thing and how you handle this.

I have been looking at LilyPond, which produces marvelous looking output, but it looks like it would be a terror to input this large project into directly. Fortunately, it does import MusicXML. So I am thinking of trying to export from Cubase as MusicXML into LilyPond and then add the other lyrics, stage directions, etc. in Lilypond.

Any suggestions on doing such a workflow?

I do something similar using Noteworthy. (http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/) I notate using Noteworthy, export using its text format and then use a self-written program to convert to LilyPond. The single piece of advice I would give is to try to edit the LilyPond files as little as possible - I almost never touch them directly - I put all my annotations in Noteworthy, using hidden text as a code to transfer to LilyPond. That way, I have only a single source of data.

I'm rather guessing this will be impossible with Cubase, but I think the principle is a good one.

--
Phil Holmes