Re: score transposition problem

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: score transposition problem
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:56:38 +0200

Am 13.04.2011 06:15, schrieb Tom Cloyd:
I have a simple problem which I've never before faced, and I'm hoping there exists a simple solution about which someone can tell me.

I play and write music for classic guitar, so I use "\clef "treble_8"" in my scores (classic guitar sounds an octave lower than the music notation).

I want to arrange a Bach chorale for guitar. My score for the chorale is a nightmare. I can barely read bass clef, and can do that in my mind, but the scores for soprano, alto, and tenor all use C-clefs, and in a way that each score must be read in a unique way. I've never before seen a score like this. The notes fit nicely on the staff, but I cannot read them without a lot of mental gymnastics.

Is there a way simply to input the notes to a lilypond file as if they were in my normal G-clef, such that, for example, the F-clef for the bass part, where the note is placed on the top line of the staff (an A), I would record it as an F, then magically move the notes up or down enough semi-tones to get to a correct placement on the treble_8 clef, at which point I add key signature to my *.ly file and I'm ready to begin my transposition, using the PDF output to play from...?
Well, you describe how to proceed: just input the notes as if they were written on G clef.

Your "f" is actually written f'' and should sound like an "a", so just add

\transpose f'' a { \myMusic }

and it should work out of the box. The same holds for the C clefs, of course.

Regards,

Marc

This is what I'd do mentally, if that were all I COULD do, but it hurts my brain to think about doing this for all the parts, using C-clefs which are placed wherever it was convenient to place them by the composer (I wonder if Bach did this, or was it someone else...?).

The more I think about this the more I think there must be a way to do it, and only using Lilypond, but I don't know what it might be.

I look forward to the response of this forum, which I have to say is without doubt the most helpful of the many to which I belong.

t.