Re: score transposition problem

From: Tom Cloyd
Subject: Re: score transposition problem
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:51:01 -0600

Wow, as usual I'm totally delighted with the range and richness of responses to my query. Many things to try and to investigate. Not all of them will take me to my goal as easily as I'd like, but all sound worth following up on. I've very grateful to you all. Thank you very much.

I was afraid there was an easy answer which further study of Lilypond would reveal, and that my question would therefore be annoying (as in "why doesn't he just read the bloody documentation?!"). Actually I did, for quite a while last night, and was equal parts fascinated and befuddled, even though I've engrave close to 30 original compositions with Lilypond.

As it turns out, this transposition problem's not all that easy, and there are multiple ways to approach the problem. Wonderful. I expect that after a little more study and experimentation, I'll never again be as challenged by transposition as I am at this moment.

As for Denemo, I've been wanting for a while to check in to this, although I'm not about to abandon text Lilypond scripting, which I've grown to love as a kind of special magic! But for this problem, the solution you suggest sound really great. I'll jump to it this evening!

Tom