Re: Using the "articulate.ly" script AND getting nice-looking engraved o

From: Tom Cloyd
Subject: Re: Using the "articulate.ly" script AND getting nice-looking engraved output - how to
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 00:18:58 -0600

On 04/14/2011 04:57 PM, Francisco Vila wrote:
2011/4/14 Tom Cloyd <address@hidden>:
Thank you for volunteering! I'd love to do it, but frankly am very hard
pressed to accomplish what's already on my schedule. Ha! Once again this
file forum comes to my rescue. I'm so pleased to be here, and of all to be
able to use and continue learning about Lilypond. What a gift this this
is...
I wrote the section about \articulate, that's why I am asking you for
a better wording, as I am not a native English speaker.

OK - I visited the Lilypond website and tried to figure out how to post to some documentation discussion list I thought existed. That left me confused and without options, so I'm back here. The best I can do is offer a first draft rewrite here, and know that those better informed than I will know what to do with it. I thank them in advance for their assistance.

Proposed revision to Notation Reference:

[begin proposal]

3.5.7 The Articulate script

Use of this script changes midi output in several ways, which can result in a more realistic sound, and also a more accurate representation of certain aspects of the score input.

The script tries to take articulations (slurs, staccato, etc) into account, by replacing notes that normally sound for the full duration notated with notes composed of sound plus a small interval of silence whose duration tries to reflect the desired articulation. It can also optionally try  to unfold trills, turns, etc., and take rallentando and accelerando into account.

To use the script, insert at the top of your script (after your \version statement is good) an \include request:

\include "articulate.ly"

Then, in the \score section of your script, add a reference to the script:

\articulate <<
    all the rest of the score...

Optionally, to enable performance of abbreviations such as trills, and full performance of all repeats, insert an \unfoldRepeats command, making the snippet above

\unfoldRepeats \articulate <<
    all the rest of the score...

Note that for this to work correctly repeats must be explicitly indicated in every voice which should repeat a given section.

Known issues and warnings

A. Unwanted alteration of the visual score

Production of an improved midi performance in this way will also yield a score altered to represent what the midi actually sounds like, which is not usually a desirable result. This problem may be eliminated by using two score blocks. The following example also assigns script lines, which would otherwise have to be repeated in both \score blocks, to a variable ("structure") which is then used in their place, to reduce script length:

\version "2.13.51"
\include "articulate.ly"

[score scripting...]

structure = {
  [repeated lines]
}

\score {
 \structure
 \layout {
   [layout specifications...]

\score {
  \unfoldRepeats \articulate \structure
  \midi

B. Over-articulation of notes, for certain instruments

While the slight separation of notes in the midi output often seems to improve the sound of music for instruments which don't normally sound legato, such as classic guitar, it can also make other instruments, such as organ, sound unrealistic. One approach to reducing or eliminating this problem is to experimentally alter a single line in the articulate.ly script - here is an example of such an alteration:

#(define ac:normalFactor '(15 . 16))

[end proposal]

I hope this is helpful!

Tom C.