Re: Preventing tempo marks stacking

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Preventing tempo marks stacking
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 11:57:52 +0200

On 16 April 2011 10:26, Richard Sabey <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have an orchestral piece where the score and all the parts have the same
> tempo marks at the same moments in musical time. If a tempo mark's text is
> long, and an orchestral part has little music between it and the next tempo
> mark, Lilypond will allow the music to take less horizontal space than the
> earlier tempo mark takes; this forces the later tempo mark to stack above
> the earlier one.
>
> How can I prevent this, please, by forcing Lilypond to make the music take
> more horizontal space than the earlier tempo mark, without creating more
> problems?
>
> I know about \textLengthOn but it is to no avail here.
>
> I saw issue 1024 but its solution doesn't solve this problem. See the second
> \score block in the example below. It sometimes (but not always - how come?)
> prevents any notes (stems, anyway) being placed below a tempo mark, and
> still doesn't prevent tempo marks stacking.

You are right.
Snippet #659 is a workaround that works in some case but your example
shows it fails with notes.

IMHO this feature (expand the whole measure, not only between two notes)
could (should) be implemented.

A workaround in this case could be to increase the length of the rests
measures.

  \override Staff.MultiMeasureRest #'minimum-length = #24

Result is better with "non-church rests":

  \override Staff.MultiMeasureRest #'expand-limit = #1

but that does not solve the feature request.

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>