Re: Slur positions limit?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Slur positions limit?
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 07:44:19 +0100

MusFelix wrote Sunday, April 17, 2011 12:53 AM

While adjusting slurs, I have come across cases where the adjustment doesn't take. I have played around with all of the slur details settings, but nothing has worked. See this example, where the slur should be much higher,
exaggerated for testing, but is stuck lower:

\version "2.13.51"
\include "english.ly"

\relative c
{
   \clef bass
   \time 9/8
   \stemDown

   \once \override Slur #'positions = #'(10 . 10)
   c,16( e' c' g' c, e, c, e' c' e c e, c, g' e' c' e, g,)
}

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

A list of possible slur positions is first calculated
based on the positions of the slurred notes.  Then the
best one in this list is chosen by adding up a number
of demerit weights.  Changing the 'positions property
influences which of these pre-computed slurs is selected,
but it cannot select a position which is not included
in the original list.

However, the range of candidate slurs in the initial
list can be increased by extending the 'region-size
property.  If you really want to use positions of
'(10 . 10) you need to increase the 'region-size to
10, like this:

   \once \override Slur #'details #'region-size = #10
   \once \override Slur #'positions = #'(10 . 10)
   c,16( e' c' g' c, e, c, e' c' e c e, c, g' e' c' e, g,)

Alternatively, the precise shape of the slur can be
controlled by specifying the Bezier curve control
points.  See Modifying ties and slurs in the Notation
Reference
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/modifying-shapes

(BTW, I am posting this through Nabble; the last 3 times I sent this by
email, it hasn't shown up.  Anyone know why???)

Did you send it from your registered email address?

Trevor