RE: MAC help

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: MAC help
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 13:24:38 +0000

Mike,
From: address@hidden address@hidden on behalf of Mike Blackstock address@hidden
Sent: 17 April 2011 13:12
To: address@hidden
Subject: MAC help

I'm helping a friend install on Mac OS X 10.6.6 but I know nothing about the
Mac. I found this in the archive:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-03/msg00246.html

Is that the right approach for her?

Thank you in advance for any Mac tips,
Mike

---

If you simply want to just install and use LP to create musical scores then go
here:

http://lilypond.org/development.html

download and run the latest *.dmg file.

That's it.

There is also a built in editor, see

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/web/macos-x

on how to very easily use and create LP files.

The 2.12.x code had problems as far as I remember with anything MacOS greater
than 10.3 - I maybe wrong but I never could get it to work in 10.5.x - but the
latest 2.13.x is fine for 10.5.x upto and including the latest 10.6.7

if you are talking about 'compiling' the source code on a Mac to help with LP
development then that is a whole other ball game and the general advice is
don't unless you really know what you are doing (for Mac). But if you really
want to you should also direct any compiling on a mac to
address@hidden and make sure you have at least read:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/index

With regard to compiling source code.

However it seems that your friend just wants to use LP to create beautiful
notation, so no compiling is needed just use the download links above and it
should be fine.

James