RE: MAC help

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: MAC help
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:46:49 +0000

Hello,
From: address@hidden address@hidden on behalf of Tim McNamara address@hidden
Sent: 17 April 2011 14:57
To: Mike Blackstock
Cc: lilypond-user lilypond-user

On Apr 17, 2011, at 7:12 AM, Mike Blackstock wrote:

> I'm helping a friend install on Mac OS X 10.6.6 but I know nothing about the
> Mac. I found this in the archive:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-03/msg00246.html
>
> Is that the right approach for her?

No.  That's not the right approach for almost any user, there is just no reason
to compile Lilypond from scratch.  Download the precompiled binary and put it
in the Applications folder.

http://www.lilypond.org/macos-x.html

Note that the 10.6.7 OS update from Apple may break Lilypond.  There have been
several reports of problems after updating to 10.6.7 but I have no idea if the
cause or a for-sure ix has been identified.

---

Just to clarify that last statement, 10.6.7 didn't 'break' Lilypond inasmuch as
it caused some fonts to not display properly - the symptom was apparently the
score would 'sometimes' (at least I never had it at all) not show note heads
and only show stems, which one could argue breaks LP in displaying PDFs,
however...all those people that had this as far as I can tell on the thread,
either ran Onyx (which you can download for free - if you don't know what it is
use Google but I do recommend it generally for Mac as a useful tool -  and ran
all the 'clean out/maintenance' scripts - which includes things like rebuilding
the font cache and the like, then reboot and all was fine after that.

I am not aware that this problem - which was reported on another website to do
with OTF type fonts (I think) so was a general than specific to LP - was ever
'resolved' in terms of what the underlying problem is or even the case of those
users that had the issue with LP still had the issue after this clean out.

However, I myself had no such problems so don't want to put you or your friend
off from using LP on a Mac. Indeed I've literally just finished a set of 10
parts for our Local Wind Band with no issues at all.

regards

James