Re: Help with Section Sequence

From: Javier Ruiz-Alma
Subject: Re: Help with Section Sequence
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 11:55:04 -0700 (PDT)

________________________________

Hello Jakob,
A bit of background: I'm typesetting a collection of 19th century minuets into lilypond and would also like to get the most approximate MIDI.  Several scores in the collection were annotated by the author with the same structure as in the attached PDF...with the following caveats:
-where the Segnos are shown, the author placed two segnos, one above treble staff, another below bass staff
-The bar with 'fine' is a finale-type chord, of course, while
-The bar going into the first Segno has the same finale-type chord, but with a second voice or accompaniment to continue the piece.

You're exactly right, the sequence I initially proposed doesn't match with "D.C. al Segno".
Here's the next sequence iteration I'm leaning more towards:
|Sect A|Sect A|Sect B|Sect B|Sect C|From start of Sect A to Segno|
However: play the last bar going into Segno in same way as the one marked 'fine' (i.e. just play the resolution/finale chord).

I would've liked to attach the original score, but it's one page in a PDF document with 90+pages and I don't have any app to extract a single page out of the very large PDF document.
Lastly, I still have no explanation for why the author added Segnos to the end of the score, except to think these scores being part of an old piano tutorial, his intent was to show the student " 'Da Capo al Segno' that looks like 'S%' ".

Let me know what you think. Javier