RE: Composition/notation advice, please

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Composition/notation advice, please
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:19:42 +0000

Phil,

)-----Original Message-----
)From: address@hidden
)[mailto:address@hidden On
)Behalf Of Phil Holmes
)Sent: 19 April 2011 15:13
)To: LilyPond User Group
)Subject: Composition/notation advice, please
)
)For my music A level, about 12 years ago, I wrote a sonata-style string
)quartet that I'm trying to resurrect and output in LilyPond.  It has a section
)that repeats between the start of the first full bar (there's a pick--up
)before that) and the end of bar 39.  The repeated section starts in D major
)and the key is changed to A major part way through.  On the repeat, the
)key has to be change back to D major so the start of the repeat is in the
)right key.  However, once the repeat has been played, and the music is
)going on past the end of bar 39, I want the key to remain in A major.  In
)my notation software, I can do this by putting a first-time section just
)before the repeat bar, and putting the key sig for D major in there.
)However, LilyPond complains about this with "warning: Two simultaneous
)key-change events, junking this one  \key a\major", which I can
)understand, but want to avoid.  Can anyone proffer advice on how to
)notate this correctly?
)
)TIA.

Don't use repeats write it out in full?

Else you can use' D.S. a l...' something or other and jump on from there again
avoiding repeat marks, there's nothing as far as I am aware that says you
cannot use D.S al 'rehearsal mark type thing' it isn't always codas and fines.

James