Is a cross-staff chord with ties possible in lilypond?

From: Helge Hafting
Subject: Is a cross-staff chord with ties possible in lilypond?
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 02:47:04 +0200

I am trying to enter a piece by Grieg, which contains the attached interesting construct.

The manual shows how to write out an arpeggio like this,
using a set of consecutive notes all tied to a chord.

Unfortunately, these consecutive notes also cross from the lower to the upper staff.
They have a common beam, so one voice jumps from one staff to another. So
far, so good. But tieing to the cross-staff chord that follows doesn't work.

A cross-staff chord must be entered in two voices, because you can't switch staff
_inside_ a chord. (I tried, it was a syntax error.)

But ties seems to work in the same voice only. So I can make the lower ties
work, but not also the upper ones.

Is this possible, or is there currently a limitation of lilypond?

If there is a solution, I hope it also works for the midi output. So simply
forcing some curved lines is not a good or complete solution.

Helge Hafting