Re: Is a cross-staff chord with ties possible in lilypond?

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Is a cross-staff chord with ties possible in lilypond?
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:06:33 +0200

2011/4/26 Helge Hafting <address@hidden>:
> 2. Cross-staff chords could get simpler too. Switch staff inside
>   a chord, and lilypond would know to connect the stems.

Cross-staff chords is one of the very first features I tried in
lilypond and could not achieve.  I used to teach Finale and gave a
Satie example as an exercise to my students; when I switched to
lilypond I could not use the piece (first Gnossienne) any more, you
can not ask for such a complicated exercise at the initial stages of
learning, but it was fairly easy with the afore mentioned visual
package.  The idea was: you select a special tool, choose a measure
and a number of handles appear on noteheads. Then just drag and drop
notes onto the desired staff.  In lilypond we have not a syntax for
this but we do have one for simple cross staff voices, so I guess we
have a small step done towards this. Remember, however, that a syntax
is not by far all you need to have for a feature to work.

I'd be delighted to sponsor the feature.  ¿A price?
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com