More questions about road maps

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: More questions about road maps
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:14:04 -0400

I just finished setting a song with a VCVCBCVC pattern (V = Verse, C =
Chorus, B = Bridge).  I couldn’t figure out a clean way to express the
roadmap to LilyPond in such a way that I could score it and generate a
MIDI from the same source.  I ended up setting the bridge in a separate
\score for layout, and explicitly ordering all the parts for the MIDI
\score.

My “tiny” example is still 181 lines (because I like indenting), and is
at <URL: http://crism.maden.org/vcbcvc.ly >.  PDF at <URL:
http://crism.maden.org/vcbcvc.pdf > and MIDI at <URL:
http://crism.maden.org/vcbcvc.midi >.

First question: from a scoring perspective, anyone have any ideas for a
better layout than what I used?  I looked through a bunch of song sheet
music I have, and couldn’t find any good examples of this pattern.

Second question: assuming I got all this into one \score, is there a way
to tell LilyPond about a D.S. (as opposed to printing the text “D.S.”
above the staff) such that an \unfold would actually be able to follow it?

Third: As you’ll note, I have variant volta endings: 1.,3. then 2. then
4.  Is there a way to tell LilyPond about the first-and-third ending,
again such that an \unfold would follow the endings correctly, rather
than just changing the labels?

Last actual question: I set the MIDI tempo with a \context.  Since that
\score is *only* used for MIDI output, I tried setting the tempo with a
\tempo instead, but it didn’t seem to work.  It seems like if I set a
\tempo on a \score, the MIDI output ought to honor it, no?

The actual song is at <URL: http://crism.maden.org/mingulay.ly >, <URL:
http://crism.maden.org/mingulay.pdf >, <URL:
http://crism.maden.org/mingulay.midi >, in case anyone is curious.

Finally, some nitpicks that came up; not bad enough to submit as bugs,
but if anyone has suggestions, I would welcome them.

1) Italics in markup: \roman doesn’t seem to override it, and changing
fonts seems to force spacing gaps so that I can’t put a comma after a
title without it looking weird.

2) When a word spans over a repeat, it would be nice if a partial hyphen
worked.  LilyPond drops it, and I have to change to a single hyphen
connected to the syllable (“-lay” instead of “-- lay”).  It makes
cutting and pasting lyric fragments a little more annoying and produces
an inconsistent look.

3) It would also be nice if markup mode just ate or ignored double
hyphens.  I’d like to be able to have lyrics in the staff and at the
bottom of the score, and not have to enter them twice.

Thanks, everyone, for the excellent tool and the high-quality
discussions here.

~crism
- --
“Those in power write the history, while those who suffer
 write the songs.” — Frank Harte
GnuPG Fingerprint: C6E4 E2A9 C9F8 71AC 9724 CAA3 19F8 6677 0077 C319