Re: Again vertical spacing FiguredBass / Staff / Lyrics

From: Michael Käppler
Subject: Re: Again vertical spacing FiguredBass / Staff / Lyrics
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 08:40:47 +0200

Hi Carl,
I doubt that it is "intended" behavior.  However, I do think your file
represents a misuse of the properties.

minimum-distance is intended to always be less than basic-distance.  In this
case, I think that minimum-distance is greater than basic-distance, which
probably messes up all of the rods-and-springs behavior.
Hmm, I can imagine this, but the problem occurs also if minimum-distance is smaller than basic-distance. (Look at the snippet at the bottom) With increased minimum-distance, the FiguredBass is shifted more and more to the top. However, it's unpractical that you have to know basic-distance if you just want to set a minimum-distance.
Maybe in this case a warning should be printed?

Regards,
Michael

% Begin LilyPond code

\version "2.13.58"

notes = \repeat unfold 20 { a4 b c b }

text = \lyricmode {
  \repeat unfold 20 { bla bla bla bla }
}

numbers = \figuremode {
  \repeat unfold 20 { <3 5>4 <4 6> <_+> <7> }
}

\layout {
  \context {
    \FiguredBass
    \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-affinity = #DOWN
  }
  \context {
    \Staff
\override VerticalAxisGroup #'default-staff-staff-spacing #'basic-distance = #20 \override VerticalAxisGroup #'default-staff-staff-spacing #'minimum-distance = #19

\score {
<<
    \new Staff {
      \new Voice = "one" \relative c'' \notes
    }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto one \text %% Comment this out
    \new FiguredBass \numbers
    \new Staff { \clef bass \relative c \notes }

}

% End LilyPond code