Re: Whole bar rest disappears

From: RobUr
Subject: Re: Whole bar rest disappears
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 18:13:29 +0200

Am 29.04.2011, 16:06 Uhr, schrieb Brent Annable <address@hidden>:

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for spamming the list with my little problem, but it's driving me
bananas and I'm at the end of my rope.

I produced a score from which I am now removing various sections by
commenting them out. When I do this, the whole-bar rest in the final system
of the piece disappears, and in the log file Lilypond complains of a
barcheck failure (among other less fatal things). My guess is that, despite
my efforts to tell Lilypond that I don't want any time signature in the
piece (by turning off the engraver), it is still counting somehow, and that
without the cuts the barlines coincidentally match up with what Lilypond is
counting, and with the cuts, they don't.

My question is: what is the easiest way to solve this? I've racked my brain
but am obviously still too new at this.

I've attached the files. Sorry for the lack of minimal example, but I don't
think that would be much use here anyway as the problem would probably
disappear. And I couldn't attach the PDF as it made the email too big, but
I'm using the latest release so it's simple to generate.

Many thanks for any help,

Brent.

Dear Brent,

keep "Time_signature_engraver" and use \override TimeSignature #'stencil = #'()
in den staff context instead. Now you can
(a) use "\time 4/4", "\time 3/4" or "\time 5/4" without printing the time
signature
(b) let bars be printed automatically without calling \bar "|" (remove \set
Score.automaticBars = ##f as well or set to ##t)

Best, Robert