Re: Beam avoidance of other voices and stem length for beamed notes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Beam avoidance of other voices and stem length for beamed notes
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 07:52:32 +0200

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> On May 4, 2011, at 3:16 PM, Nick Payne wrote:
>
>> Latest LP development version has inconsistency. See below.
>>
>> \version "2.13.61"
>>
>> \relative c'' {
>>    \time 3/4
>>    \key d \minor
>> <<
>>    { <e bes>8 r <e a,> r s }
>>    \\
>>    { d, r cis r r4 }
>>    \\
>>    { g'8. f16 g8. bes16 a8. g16 }
>> >>
>> }
>
> The disparity in results comes (I think) from the fact that the flag
> of the stem in the left example ends after the beam begins on the X
> axis, and thus, the beam collision engraver moves the beam up to avoid
> the entire stem+flag.  In the second example, on the other hand, the
> flag's rightmost X point falls to the left of the beam's leftmost X
> point.

The result is visually glaringly inconsistent and ugly.  If it is
expected behavior given the current algorithms, they still need work.

I assume that there is no attempt of rest collision either way (probably
easy to check by replacing them with spacer rests).  In that case, the
stems on the left are much too long.

_If_ rest collision avoidance makes them this long, it is wrong for the
right example to smudge out the rest.

--
David Kastrup