\mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn, voice and stem issue

From: ivan . k . kuznetsov
Subject: \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn, voice and stem issue
Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 15:23:55 -0500

Appended is a snippet of two measures, the first measure
is what I intended, the second measure is not.

In the second measure, I would like the top voice
triplet 16th notes B natural and A natural to occupy the
same space as the lower voice dotted quarter notes
B natural and A natural, thus these top voice triplet
16th notes "disappear".

This happens exactly as I want it in the first measure where
the F and Bb  16th notes "disappear" because the space
is occupied by the F and Bb half notes.

So far, working with the \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn  command
has been hit or miss with me. Sometimes I get my intention
with it, other times not.  Can someone coach me so that I can
get my desired result?

Thank you for your help.  An image of the generated measures
is attached.

\version "2.12.3"
\include "english.ly"

<<
  \new Staff = "guitar"
  {
    \clef "treble_8"

    % measure 01
    \time 4/4
    <<
    {
       f,16  d16 g8  <<d4 g4>>
       bf,16 g16 b8  <<g4 b4>>
    }
    \\
    { \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn  f,2  bf,2 }

    % measure 02
    \time 3/4
    <<
    {
     \times 2/3 { b,16 af16 c'16 } <<af4 c'4>> \times 2/3 { a,16 fs16  b16 }
<<fs4 b4 bf'4>>
    }
    \\
    { \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn  b,4. a,4.   }