Re: \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn, voice and stem issue

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn, voice and stem issue
Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 22:09:35 +0200

Am 08.05.2011 22:23, schrieb address@hidden:
Appended is a snippet of two measures, the first measure
is what I intended, the second measure is not.

In the second measure, I would like the top voice
triplet 16th notes B natural and A natural to occupy the
same space as the lower voice dotted quarter notes
B natural and A natural, thus these top voice triplet
16th notes "disappear".

This happens exactly as I want it in the first measure where
the F and Bb  16th notes "disappear" because the space
is occupied by the F and Bb half notes.

So far, working with the \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn  command
has been hit or miss with me. Sometimes I get my intention
with it, other times not.  Can someone coach me so that I can
get my desired result?

There exists a \mergeDifferentDottedOn command, too,
to cover the merge in the second bar.

See
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#index-mergeDifferentlyDottedOn

HTH,

Marc

Thank you for your help.  An image of the generated measures
is attached.

\version "2.12.3"
\include "english.ly"

<<
   \new Staff = "guitar"
   {
     \clef "treble_8"

     % measure 01
     \time 4/4
     <<
     {
        f,16  d16 g8<<d4 g4>>
        bf,16 g16 b8<<g4 b4>>
     }
     \\
     { \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn  f,2  bf,2 }

     % measure 02
     \time 3/4
     <<
     {
      \times 2/3 { b,16 af16 c'16 }<<af4 c'4>>  \times 2/3 { a,16 fs16  b16 }<<fs4 b4
bf'4>>
     }
     \\
     { \mergeDifferentlyHeadedOn  b,4. a,4.   }